Today we took on a little 2 day job. We spent the day laying vinyl floor covering over vinyl flooring. Which can be difficult to solve yet with the ideal details and treatments, any kind of do-it-yourself-er and homeowner can tackle a task similar to this with confidence. As constantly I will certainly note all devices and also materials you will require to lay vinyl floor covering over vinyl flooring.
Your new vinyl flooring
Vinyl floor covering adhesive (we made use of a releasable pressure sensitive adhesive from Chap-co).
End up nails.
caulking( try and match the shade of your floor covering).
Blue painters tape.
If not reusing old wall and thresholds your will certainly require to purchase new.
Razor blade (hook blade and also standard blade).
Hammer & flat bar.
Finish nail weapon( hammer and also nail set will likewise function).
If reusing old moulding), Miter Saw( not needed.
Repaint brush & roller( if using releasable pressure delicate adhesive, with some adhesives you will certainly need a 1/8 notched ceramic tile trowel to spread your adhesive, constantly make sure to check out as well as adhere to the suppliers instructions on container).
2x4 covered in carpeting or a towel.
Being a homeowner you will probably very own these devices. Otherwise, you can pick them up at your local hardware shop and also not have to worry as you will have the ability to make use of any one of these detailed tools time and time again.
1. As well as most undoubtedly you will certainly require to get rid of out the area. If its your kitchen it is always best to remove your refrigerator as well as oven to run the flooring under them.
2. Utilizing your hammer and also level bar, it's time to remove any base board moulding or quarter round trim from around the edges of your floor. If you are going to just recycle your old moulding make certain not to damage any one of your items as your eliminating them. Viewing as your going with a brand new floor I would suggest replacing all the moulding. It depends how beat up the old moulding is and your budget.
3. Inspect your floor. Search for bubbles and loose areas. Using your razor blade, w/ a basic blade, cut out and remove these bad areas.
4. Vacuum the floor of all dust and debris to keep it out of your skim coat.
5. Currently it's time to skim coat the flooring. We made use of a Henry 547 Universal Spot & Skim Coat. This skim coat merely obtains combined with water. Comply with the directions on the bundle of whatever skim coat you select to utilize. , if you are loading in locations where it will certainly be thicker you will certainly desire to fill up those areas with a thicker mix.. Using your masonry trowel, spread the skim coat throughout the whole flooring. This will certainly fill out the areas you needed to remove as well as any kind of appearance in the existing vinyl. Even if you do not require to cut any type of areas out, your new vinyl will certainly gobble limited to the old flooring so much that you will see the texture of the old flooring come through to your brand-new flooring. This is and is an essential action what makes laying vinyl floor covering over vinyl flooring possible.
6. Wrap it up, you're provided for concerning 14-18 hrs depending upon for how long your skim coat product requires to establish as well as dry.
7. Now that your skim coat has actually dried out. Examine the surface. Using your trowel remove any type of drips or any type of lines you left. The key to the skim coat is to get it perfectly level as feasible.
8. Vacuum the entire flooring really completely. Any debris you leave on your flooring will certainly be seen through the new vinyl.
9. Currently it is time to eliminate your new vinyl flooring. There are a pair methods you may want to tackle this. You can merely take dimensions as well as draw a layout on your own to comply with. Another means is to obtain a roll of construction paper, lay it out and reduce yourself a pattern. Either way you pick to do this you require to ensure to leave a good 2 inches right around. The hook blade works great for removing your brand-new floor. If you are making use of a really felt backed vinyl you will require to make alleviation cuts in the inside edges of your brand-new flooring. You will certainly likewise need to tape these edges with blue painters tape to strengthen them. Really felt backed vinyl is breakable. It will fracture as well as tear on you particularly in those corners. If you are making use of a sheet vinyl product you will not need to stress over this.
10. Lug your brand-new flooring right into the area and also very carefully spread it and lay it down where it goes. Utilizing your basic blade press the excess you left into the corners as well as cut off the excess around the whole floor. If you are making use of a floor that has straight lines going through it you will certainly want to make certain you have those lines lined up just how you want them prior to you cut your flooring. You may require to move it over and if you have currently cut it you could not be big sufficient to fit up to the wall surface.
11. Once you have your flooring all eliminated and also prepared to go, it's time for adhesive. with the releasable pressure delicate sticky you will certainly be able to merely paint it on the flooring. Other adhesives may call for a notched trowel. Read and also follow the instructions on the glue you are making use of. The releasable adhesive is suggested, by the supplier, for sheet vinyl product. Fold up back one side of your floor covering regarding halfway back. Spread your adhesive. , if you desire a permanent bond with the releasable sticky you will not want to allow it dry totally.. As soon as the glue prepares, carefully lay your vinyl back where it got on the floor. Utilizing a size of 2x4 covered in carpet( or covered in a towel) press and slide out the flooring in the direction of the outside sides. This is mosting likely to force out wrinkles and also bubbles, ensuring a limited bond. Repeat this for the other side of your floor.
12. Currently you can replace your old moulding as well as limits. If you choose to change your moulding, see to it your measurements are right and also angles are appropriate. If you try utilizing the old items as templates they will all run a little bigger and will not suit their places. If you weren't able to get your flooring excellent and there are some areas that aren't entirely covered, either by the base board or brand-new flooring (i.e. around doorways and also their trim), you can use caulking to fill in these locations.
13. Some adhesives require waiting a while to dry, prior to relocating any furniture or home appliances in addition to it. An excellent rule of thumb would be to wait a pair hrs before moving things back, yet simply see what the product your using suggests and also adhere to that.
It is get more info a fairly easy procedure for any kind of homeowner or do-it-yourself-er. The key is your skim coat. This is what makes laying vinyl flooring over vinyl floor covering feasible. The texture of your old floor WILL reveal via on your brand-new vinyl if you do not skim coat it.
I mentioned felt back/paper back vinyl as well as whats called sheet vinyl. Vinyl itself is an extremely cost-effective product for a great looking new floor. The cost array in between your less costly( felt backed, cracks as well as splits REALLY conveniently) and your higher quality( sheet vinyl, won't split, tear or fold) plastics isn't a large distinction. Sheet vinyl is a lot easier to work with and lay. The difference in cost will be well worth the disappointment of installing it. And also if you get the less costly vinyl and also it rips, your mosting likely to require to either purchase a vinyl seam bonding product or go out and buy another piece of vinyl. We highly recommend using a sheet vinyl product with a releasable pressure sensitive adhesive for best results.
Laying vinyl flooring over vinyl flooring is a fantastic weekend project that will leave you with a gorgeous new floor as well as increase the value of your home. Good luck on your next home improvement project, and make sure to examine back with us for brand-new and also upgraded details on Do It Yourself as well as house enhancements.
What's all the hassle regarding vinyl flooring lately? One probably thinks dull, shabby and also monotonous as you conger up pictures of that vinyl flooring of the past. But the lifeless gold or dingy orange and also brownish square patterns from your granny's kitchen area are no longer.
Modern technology has actually enhanced throughout the years as well as the vinyl floor covering of today is far from drab. Thanks to innovations in production as well as style, it has been replaced with an extra resistant, high-end vinyl flooring that has quickly come to be in vogue.
Right here are five big factors to take into consideration high-end vinyl flooring no matter what area in the residence you are thinking about refurnishing.
1. Wide Variety Of Styles And Color styles.
It is the 2nd layer of vinyl flooring that makes it flexible and so beautiful. A printing process called rotogravure is made use of on this layer to inscribe the style. This method of printing makes use of a rotary press with photoengraved plates to inscribe practically any sort of style onto the vinyl.
Since it is now made to imitate the look of so many all-natural substratums, resilient vinyl floor covering is so flexible. Stone, floor tile, timber, linoleum, brick and also also marble are just several of the choices available. A plethora of textures, patterns and also colors develop limitless possibilities. Whatever your style or spending plan choice, there are many alternatives to choose from.
2. Easy To Clean.
Vinyl floorings today are common sold as "no wax" floorings. These "no-wax" surfaces are less complicated to clean up due to the fact that the flooring shines without waxing. A moist mop is all that is generally needed to maintain it clean. The leading wear layer will also be extremely resistant to discoloration and damaging.
It is essential to keep in mind that these "no-wax" floors will at some point lose their sparkle in time. Suppliers suggest that the flooring be buffed or recoated with the "no-wax" product over the surface where the sparkle has lessened. It is always best to make use of the producer's advised finishing product as there are different solutions on the market.
3. Durable, Wear Immune.
There are two kinds that offer wear resistance as well as a long life expectancy:.
Printed Vinyl Floor Covering.
Includes 3-4 Layers.
Put on layer (top).
Cushioning layer (optional).
The majority of vinyl flooring includes three to four layers sandwiched with each other to create a product that is both stunning and resilient. The initial layer consists of a support material that is made from felt or fiberglass. The 2nd layer is a printed layer of vinyl that abides by the base layer. There may be a cushioning layer on some designs. The final layer is called a "wear layer", as well as it is additionally made from vinyl.
The wear layer is made likewise from vinyl and also protects the floor from damage. Its resistance to dents as well as gouging relies on the thickness of the layer. The thicker the wear layer, the even more long lasting the floor will certainly be. FHA requirements are a minimum of 10 mils however the most effective flooring styles provide to 30 mils for optimal security. If you are looking for the best performance, it is crucial to ask the sales individual about the density of the wear layer.
Inlaid Vinyl Floor Covering.
With inlaid vinyl flooring the pattern is developed throughout the density of the vinyl. This type is a lot more pricey, but if the pattern is cracked or scraped, it is not recognizable because the pattern prolongs throughout the whole deepness of the sheet. Inlaid vinyl floors do not have a wear layer, yet they do have a base support layer.
4. Comfortable Underfoot.
If you are going to mount your floor covering in areas where you will be doing a great deal of strolling or standing, such as in the kitchen, a style that consists of a supported backing will likely be most comfortable. When compared with tile, laminate or wood floors, the cushioned vinyl flooring will certainly constantly give a higher degree of comfort for standing as well as strolling.
5. Much Less Complicated Installation.
Although an expert is constantly advised for installation, the process can be less complex than various other sorts of floor covering because you can often install the new flooring right over the existing one. You can talk with your sales person about installing the vinyl flooring right over it if you have an evenly-surfaced ceramic tile or timber flooring. Because you may not have to pay someone to remove the old flooring before installing the new one, this can save you money and time in the long run.
Also with tile, wood and even laminate flooring your contractor may need to do a great deal of messy cutting to fit the pieces together. With roll-type vinyl, this mess is lessened which can save you money as well as clean up time in the long run.
We spent the day laying vinyl flooring over vinyl floor covering. As constantly I will certainly detail all materials and tools you will require to lay vinyl floor covering over vinyl floor covering.
I pointed out really felt back/paper back vinyl as well as whats called sheet vinyl. Not to discuss if you purchase the less expensive vinyl and it tears, your going to require to either acquire a vinyl joint bonding item or go out and also acquire an additional item of vinyl. With inlaid vinyl flooring the pattern is created throughout the density of the vinyl.